DEVIOUS ILLUSIONS

The achievement of Miss Shamcey Supsup becoming third runner-up in the Miss Universe 2011 contest in Såo Paolo, Brazil made Filipinos all around the world very happy. Though certainly there may have been some disappointment with the result because, for them, she could have been the crowned queen.

She was asked, “Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person you love? Why or why not?”

She answered, “If I had to change my religious beliefs, I will not marry the person that I love, because the first person that I love is God who created me, and I have my faith and my principles, and these are what makes me who I am, and if that person loves me, he should love my God too, Thank you.”

The first time you hear her answer, it appears to be a good response to such a question. Especially during the pageant, which she answered straight away, with no English interpreter, and that surely made Filipinos very proud of her. However, in my opinion, her answer comes across as being rather selfish.

I respect other people’s personal principles about religion. Miss Supsup's answer implies that she wouldn’t change her religious beliefs for someone she loves; rather he should change and embrace her religion. Isn’t that selfish? It doesn’t sound right at all to me. If her boyfriend does not believe in God, then there is no chance she is going to marry him. Where is the love?

If I were to answer that question, it will be, “No, I would not change my religious beliefs to marry the person I love, and she shouldn’t have to change hers either, even if they were very different from my own. I love her because of who she is, and religion should not be a reason to divide us. Even in our modern world, religious beliefs has been responsible for wars, death, famine and partition in humanity; I would not let our cultural differences and religious beliefs ruin our friendship.”

No comments:

Post a Comment